Saturday, July 22, 2017

Are We There Yet? -Hannah

Let your hope keep you joyful, be patient in your troubles, and pray at all times.
(Romans 12:12)

This trip has been full of bumps in the road both literally and figuratively, and the longer we have been here, the easier it is to deal with it.

After beginning this trip with a 36 hour bus ride, I quickly realized that inquiring how much longer we were going to be half sleeping in a stinky bus with poor AC was not going to get me any kinda of response. We kept hearing "Oh it's not far" or "Ehhhh soon" and to us Americans it's almost more frustrating than anything.

Now, ten days into this trip, I've adjusted to living on Nepali time, where everything is an estimate and nothing is for certain. As I ride on this five-ish hour bus ride writing this post, I neither know what time we left, nor am I trying to calculate what time we arrive. Rather, I'm sitting here, gazing out the window to one of the most beautiful places I have been thinking America could learn a thing or two from this country.

Back home, everyone is so focused on time, which in itself isn't a bad thing, but I can say for certain that I'm not looking forward to being back in the hustle and bustle of the cities in less than a week.

The Lord has blessed this trip in countless ways from incredible good weather to an abundance of children (more than we had planned for!) and if I have learned anything from living in Nepali time, it's that having a priority makes everything seem like no big deal.

Now, instead of asking "Are we there yet?" Or "How long until we can sleep?" I wonder when we get to teach again, or how many children we will have this time? Five hour bus rides seem like a piece of cake--just a short stop away from our next church.

Only a few more teaching days left until, sadly, we fly home. We have truly been cared for by our Lord and Savior this far and I pray He continue to do so.

In Christ,

Hannah Stelter

No comments:

Post a Comment